It is the main church in Arica, located in the center of this city, calle Bolognesi 170, in front of Plaza Colón, between San Marcos and 7 de Junio streets. Declared a National Monument on October 4, 1984 and the bell that is exhibited in its interior Historical Monument on August 5, 2002.
Its construction was commissioned in the nineteenth century, when the city was part of Peru by the government of the president of that country José Balta to the workshops of the French Gustavo Eiffel, originally was destined to the Ancon spa. The metal structure coming from France arrived in Arica in 1875 and was armed by French technicians, the church was inaugurated in 1876 in the same location that had the old mother church that stood 226 years until it was destroyed by the earthquake of 1868.
It is located on Bolognesi street at 40 meters. from our location.
Playa El Laucho is a white sand beach protected from the wind with gentle waves and mild temperatures. It has places of rest, restaurants, pubs and discos.
It is equipped with parking for cars, bathrooms, showers, dressing rooms and lifeguard service.
It is located to the south by Avda. Comandante San Martin, 1.5 km., Approximately 20 minutes on foot from our location.
Playa La Lisera is a semi-circular beach of approximately 150 meters long, without waves and suitable for swimming and diving sports. It has equipment of dressing rooms, services, gardens, parking, sale of drinks and children’s games.
Its white sands and waters of very low swell harbor vacationers during all times of the year. In Arica the average temperature in Winter (July) is 15.6º C. and 22.3º C. in Summer (February), so it can be visited throughout the year.
It is located to the south by Avda. Comandante San Martin, 2.4 km., Approximately 30 minutes on foot from our location.
Coordinates: 18 ° 28’49 “S 70 ° 19’25” W, is a coastal hill that has approx. 130 meters of height with respect to the level of sea, It is the greater tourist and symbolic referent of the city. It was declared a National Monument on October 6, 1971.
From the top it offers a panoramic view of the city and the surrounding beaches, its summit is reached by car from Sotomayor street and on foot by the pedestrian path that is born at the end of Colón street, circuit of approximately 1200 meters. to the summit, 35 minutes on foot climbing a height of 108 meters. from our location.
Geographical accident of great importance in the first human settlements constituting in a true “shield of protection” of the prevailing winds of the south what it allowed for its face North-East, at the moment “Faldeos del Morro”, the installation of a funerary field of the Chinchorro culture.
At the top there is a square with different monuments and a balcony, on the esplanade is the Arica Historical and Weapons Museum, where part of the battle of Arica was developed on June 7, 1880 as part of the War of the Pacific , which sealed its occupation by Chile and its subsequent annexation to Chilean territory, which was formalized by the Treaty of Lima in 1929.
In the month of June 2004 while the first excavations were carried out to build our first Hotel project in Arica, mummified bodies appeared. Our first action was to paralyze the works and bring the fact to the attention of the police and researchers of the University of Tarapacá, who determined that the burials corresponded to part of a funerary field of the Chinchorro culture. At that time we made the decision to postpone our Hotel project in consideration of the finding. Later and after a long period of more than a year and varied alternatives, among others the one to conceive an archaeological sample in the first level and to raise our hotel from the second level, proposal that was not accepted, the year 2005, the own University of Tarapacá made the decision to buy us the land in the condition of “archaeological reserve”.
At the end of 2006, the University entrusted the architect Fernando Antequera Vergara with the execution of an architectural project to build a “Museum of the site” in Colon 10; This project was developed during 2007 and the year 2008-2009 was built and inaugurated in December 2009. The architectural concept used was, first of all, to conserve most of the house that did not prevent the on-site museum from developing properly. as a testimony of a vernacular architecture of the early twentieth century; assess the conservation and value of the finding and consequently its maintenance, considering that the anthropological concept defined by the specialists of the University was to conceive a place of permanent research and exploration. Thus, in this way, it was not a “showroom museum” but a dynamic field of research.
The architectural response was a lightly supported structure on the ground so as not to disturb it (the supporting structure that rests on the ground is only 7% of the total surface of it) plus a transparent, walkable and removable floor system that “hangs” of the main structure so as not to unload dynamic loads to the container land of the mummified bodies. The whole constructs an architectural space according to the transcendent significance of the finding (a cemetery). This site museum is a first and unique initiative in Chilean archeology.
For the action carried out we have been distinguished by: The Advisory Council of National Monuments with the distinction “Conservation of Cultural Heritage year 2005” category “Company”. For the Rotary Club Arica in 2006 “For his contribution to Tourism and Culture dignifying his profession”. and For the Rotary Club Azapa in the World Tourism Day 2009 “For the contribution to Arica’s tourism development”.
The current Alacrán Peninsula is an ancient island that was joined to the continent by the construction of an artificial road, the government of Chile turned the island into a peninsula in 1964 at the time that the Port of Arica was built, the works conclude in 1965. Currently, the peninsula is home to the Arica Yacht Club on the north side, on the south side of the Alacrán beach where the “El Gringo” wave is formed. It is very popular for bodyboarding and surfing. the Grand Slam: Arica Chilean Challenge, which brings together the best international exponents of bodyboarding. Although it does not have beaches for swimming, it has great places to observe birds, the Pacific Ocean, to sunbathe and watch the sunset.
In its center It possesses the ruins of an old colonial fort that defended the city from pirate attacks by sea, Arica was ravaged several times by famous pirates and it is believed that it could be one of the places where Francis Drake buried part of the riches captured in their raids. It was declared a National Monument on December 13, 1985 together with the remains of existing fortifications.
It is accessed by Comandante San Martín avenue to the south, 1.6 kms away, approximately 20 minutes on foot from our location.
It is a group of natural geological formation dating from the Jurassic, carved by the erosion caused by wind and water, located 11 km south of Arica, this circuit starts in Playa hearts.
It is a place where the chinchorros lived and then the monkeys. Los changos was a denomination given by Spaniards to various ethnic groups that shared cultural and even genetic elements in the coastal area. A characteristic that distinguishes them is that they were a community that lived on the basis of fishing, bone hooks and wolf leather rafts.
In the sector there are the remains of an old guano farm. On the coastal cliffs there are three large guards, the one of Anzota, located on the caves next to beach hearts; Culave, south of Liserilla beach, and Cutipa beach. The guaneras were intensively exploited until the 1970s. The guaneros came from the towns of the interior such as Codpa, Belén, Ticnamar, Timar and Cobija; These collectors made high-risk maneuvers when they climbed down the cliffs. At present, it is possible to see ropes and anchors of the time on the slopes of the cliff walls.
In 2016 a new coastal promenade was inaugurated in this place, with an investment of 1,929 million pesos from the State of Chile, the place is free of charge, but there is no public transport from Arica to it. This place is accessed by Comandante San Martín avenue to the south, 11 kms away, approximately 20 minutes by car from our location.